Thursday, January 24, 2013

Wales' Grammy Nod

This topic ran through my mind all day today as I was trying to process the last time or if there was a hip hop artist from the DC Area ever nominated for a Grammy, no matter the category.  Of course you can say well you have Timbaland and Pharrell influencing many different genres with their production talents, but has there ever been a lyricist from the DMV nominated for his words?  Then that got me thinking about the timing.  We’re coming up on the 2 year anniversary to his Super Bowl day signing to Maybach Music.  Has Rick Ross’ influence helped Wale to the point where he is an internationally accredited artist or has the award show lost its humble groundings?  To be honest, you can argue for both sides.  

I think Wale is an exceptional artist and even though I didn’t agree with the move the Maybach Music at first, you can see his growth as an artist.  To leave Jay-Z and hop over to then, Warner Bros. Records must have taken a lot of negotiation and persuasion but in the end, Wale is getting the respect he deserves.  Wale has changed a lot since his February 2011 singing mostly in the realm of his production and his connection to go-go.  Since Ambition dropped, and the Eleven-one-eleven theory before that, you have seen a darker more ‘street’ side of Wale.  I think Rick Ross saw his ability to create and be versatile over different records and decided to take the wheels of his career and change his lane.  I’ll admit, when I first heard him on the Self Made vol 1, I wondered who I was listening at first.  This wasn’t the same guy harmonizing about Ice Cream Girls and making songs with Mark Ronson.  This was a transformed Wale, with a good kid gone bad persona.  Maybe its been inside him all along (pause) but, I’ve never heard that type of tenacity in his voice.  And guess what people, soft rappers don’t sell.  Wannabe murderers and misogynists do.

Then you have the Grammy’s. Since the 2012 awards there has been a change in the number of categories and it has been increasingly hard to try and get the hardware.  Especially in the hip hop genre.  If you’re not on the same label as Jay-Z, Dr. Dre, or Lil Wayne, good luck.  It aint gonna happen.  In my opinion, its run by the labels and if your label doesn’t have some money to blow then it ain’t happening.  Ever. I guess this is why people sell out, the industry basically makes you if you ever want to sit at the table with the big boys. I will watch the show, for the performances only.

To be completely honest I’m happy for the guy.  I’ve been wanting this since I heard DC Gorillaz.  I’m just seconding guessing the timing.  Lotus Flower Bomb is a good song, baby making music at its finest.  Is it Wales’ greatest work? Hardly.  Will winning a grammy for Lotus Flower Bomb rather than for Shades or the Artistic Integrity stop his drive and his and my own appreciation for his music.  Not one bit.

To be honest, it is now or never for him, and as a fellow DMV’ian I hope he wins.  Congrats Ralph.

No comments:

Post a Comment