Friday, January 20, 2012

Schoolboy Q - Habits and Contradictions



Schoolboy Q’s latest effort definitely shows maturity and while still having an “I don’t give a F&*k” attitude.

Highs:
“Hands on the wheel” ft. A$AP Rocky – This duo needs to do a collaborative EP or something.  When they get together it’s something special (see  A$AP Rocky - Brand New Guys).  I wish this song was out when I was in college. This is twentysomething music, get with it.

“Raymond 1969” – Rocking over a Portishead sample (see Portishead – Cowboys) Q unleashes some sci-fi triphop.  I could easily see the Odd Future crew murdering this, but Q holds his own and makes me believe that his album dropping on the Friday the 13th weekend is a little more than coincidence. 

“My Homie” – Q and The Alchemist team up for a banger.  Over a mellow beat, Schoolboy Q talks about growing up in his hood and his close friends he interacts with… seems like he needs some new friends. 

Lows:
“Oxy Music”  - Maybe I need to be on pills to enjoy this joint but I just ain’t for me.  It comes from so many different directions, so I’m guessing he must’ve been on something to make this.

“Grooveline”  ft. Dom Kennedy and Curren$y– I’m not knocking this jam at all, this just ain’t Q’s lane.  Dom Kennedy and Curren$y do their usual thing over a smooth bass line and lazy guitar. Feel’s like Q is trying to tame himself, I know you need something for the ladies but this joint just doesn’t fit.

Overall:  Beats: 9   Rhymes:  7  Life: 7

This is definitely better than Setbacks and worth a purchase or download.  With the right mix of heavy beats (which he absolute euthanizes), guest features from the TDE camp and others, Schoolboy Q is definitely starting the New Year off on the right foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment